Ashadi Ekadashi is one of the holiest and most important Vrats observed by Hindus in the month of Ashad. It is also popularly known as Shayani Ekadashi or Devshayani Ekadashi. It is celebrated as the first Ekadashi and falls on the eleventh day in the bright half of the Ashad month (June – July). This day is very important for Vaishnava Hindus who consider Lord Vishnu as the Supreme God. In 2023, Ashadi Ekadashi falls on the June 29.
Benefits of Ashadi Ekadashi
It’s a widely known belief that anyone keeping the Ashadi Ekadashi vrat and completing it successfully will be able to attain salvation. He/She will also be able to lead a happy, peaceful and prosperous life. People can get rid of all the stress and tension in life by observing fast. Then, any person suffering from any serious disease should keep the Ashadi Ekadashi Vrat and complete it with full commitment to get rid of all health ailments.
Significance of Ashadi Ekadashi
Legends associated with Ashadi Ekadashi say that on this day Lord Vishnu goes on “Yog Nidra” (a long sleep) for four months on the “Sesh Naag”. He finally wakes up from cosmic sleep on the day of Prabodhini Ekadashi or Kartik Ekadashi. The four months slumber period of the Lord is known as ‘Chaturmas’.
Ashadi Ekadashi Puja Vidhi
- Take a holy bath in the morning, on the day of the Vrat. Many people even gather at Nashik to take a holy bath in the Godavari River, to seek the blessings of Lord Rama, an avatar of Lord Vishnu.
- The Vrat should be maintained by refraining oneself from specific foods like rice, beans, grains, cereals, specific vegetables and spices.
- In the evening, the devotees should decorate the idol of Lord Vishnu with Gadha, Chakra, Shank and bright yellow clothes.
- Puja offerings: Incense sticks, flowers, betel, betel nut and Bhog.
- The puja is conducted and the evening Aarti is sung. Then the Prasad is distributed among the devotees.
- The person observing the Vrat must remain awake the entire night and chant Vishnu mantras in praise of Lord Vishnu.
About Dev Darshan
Now, due to the present state of the Covid-19 pandemic, most of the temple houses have shifted to conducting online Ashadi Ekadashi Puja for the convenience of the devotees. However, it becomes a bit of a hassle to connect to the Mandir priests to get the puja conducted. Dev Darshan can come to your rescue at that moment. Dev Darshan is a platform which provides a smooth interaction between the temple houses and the devotees without much worry and hassle. It also conducts online Pujas such as online Ashadi Ekadashi Puja. Check out the online services provided by Dev Darshan here and get your bookings done in one click.