Saturday or Shanivar is dedicated to the Lord of justice, Lord Shanidev. Observing the Shanivar Vrat is considered highly fruitful and auspicious among all other weekly Vrats. According to the Puranas, the devotees who observe this fast should also worship Lord Hanuman and Lord Narasimha (an incarnation of Lord Vishnu) along with Lord Shani on every Saturday. According to the pandits, keeping Shanivar Vrat can be extremely helpful and miraculous for the devotees who have a weak Shani in their horoscope. This fast is the easiest way to please Lord Shanidev and receive his divine blessings.
Shanidev is often regarded as the angriest deity in Hinduism. A lot of devotees fear him and panic a lot if they get Shani Mahadasha or Shani Sadesati in their horoscope. Lord Shani gets extremely pleased with the devotees who try to live a simple and sinless life. Worshipping Shanidev helps the devotees to enjoy a blissful life with good health, wealth, career and prosperity.
Remove malefic effects of Shani through Shani Graha Shanti puja
Significance of Saturday Fasting
- According to astrology, observing the Shanivar Vrat has the power to reduce or even eliminate the malefic effects of the planet Saturn from one’s horoscope.
- Lord Shani is said to always remain grateful to Lord Hanuman for rescuing him from Ravana. Therefore, worshipping.
- Shanivar Vrat helps the devotees to get relief from misery, fear of untimely death and anxiety.
- This Vrat should be observed to get rid of various health ailments such as joint pains, muscle pains, back pain and muscle disorders.
- This Vrat can also be very beneficial for devotees to get rid of the painful effects of Shanidev’s Sadesati, Dahiya, Mahadasha or Antardasha.
- Observing this Vrat helps to make a person feel optimistic, positive and focused in life.
Shanivar Vrat Fasting Method
Observing the Shanivar Vrat is believed to help the devotees in getting rid of troubles, hurdles and misfortunes in life. According to the rules, the devotees should worship an idol of Lord Shani made of iron during the Saturday fast. They should also offer black sesame seeds and oil to the deity and wear black clothes on that day. The devotees can begin the Vrat on the first Saturday of Shukla Paksha of any lunar month and should observe this fast for 11 or 51 consecutive Saturdays without fail.
Here’s a detailed procedure of the Shanivar Vrat
- Wake up early before the sunrise, take a holy bath and wear fresh black clothes on the day of fasting.
- Clean the puja space and gather the essential items for the puja like sesame seeds, mustard oil, black flower garlands, oil lamp, incense sticks, vermillion, sandalwood, black cloth and sweets, and fruits for bhog.
- Visit the Shani Temple and get the puja done by a priest. If you’re willing to perform the Shanigraha puja at home then consult a learned priest or an expert to know the procedure.
- Offering water to a Peepal tree on this auspicious day is considered to be of utmost fruitful.
- Begin the puja by doing Panchamrit Abhishek of Lord Shani and offering him mustard oil.
- Then offer black cloth, flowers, black sesame seeds and Bhog to the Lord. Light an oil lamp and an incense stick too.
- Sit comfortably at the puja place in your home or in the Shani temple and Chant the mantras and the 10 names of Shanidev. Then read the Shanivar Vrat Katha with a pure heart and utmost devotion.
- After that, offer prayer and Aarti to the Lord and distribute the prasad among the devotees to conclude the puja.
- Offer Brahmin Bhojan and some Dakshina to at least 5 Brahmins. Donate food and money to the poor and needy too since Shanidev gets pleased by people who often indulge in charity work.
Shanivar Vrat Katha
The Shanivar Vrat Katha pertains to a small story from Ramayana. As we all are aware, the demon king Ravana had pleased Tridev and received a book from Lord Shiva, Lord Brahma and Lord Vishnu to be immortal. Thus, Ravana had gained control over the entire solar system with the nine planets. He placed these 9 planets under the staircase of his main hall in which his mighty throne was situated. He used to feel proud while climbing up the stairs to his throne. Ravana had imprisoned all the Devatas, Gandharvas, Nagas and Lokpal.
All of them were deeply worried when Shanidev offered to help them. Ravana was said to be an amazing astrologer. He used his wisdom in astrology and placed all the nine planets in the 11th house post the birth of his eldest son Meghnath so that he too could be immortal and invincible like Ravana. At that time Shanidev played a trick and stretched his leg a bit towards the 12th house to fail Ravana’s plan. Thus, Ravana’s plan failed and Meghnath’s death was ascertained due to the trick played by Shanidev. When Ravana came to know about this, he got furious and imprisoned Lord Shani in a completely dark room so that no one could see his face ever again.
After a while, when Lord Hanuman reached Lanka searching for Mata Sita, he heard the faint cries of Lord Shani from a distance. He searched here and there out of curiosity and found Shanidev imprisoned in the dark room. He freed deity Shani upon his request but Shanidev looked at Hanuman, thus making him a victim of Shani’s gaze. However, to reduce the pain of Lord Hanuman, Shanidev promised him that devotees who would pray to Hanuman on Saturday would get rid of the malefic effects of planet Saturn. Therefore, the Hindu devotees worship Lord Hanuman along with Lord Shani on Saturdays during the Shanivar Vrat to seek his divine blessings and get rid of all problems and obstacles in life.
Also, know about the significance of Hanuman Jayanti
Mantras for Shanivar Vrat
Chanting 10 names of Lord Shanidev during Shanivar Vrat is considered very auspicious. The 10 names are Konastha, Krishna, Pippala, Sauri, Yama, Pingalo, Rodrutko, Babhru, Manda, and Shanasture.
|| Om Aim Hreem Shanecharaya Namah ||
|| Om Sham Shaneicharaya Namah ||
|| Om Nilanjana Sama Bhasam, Ravi Putram Yamagrajam ||
|| Cahaya Martanda Samhubhutam, Tama namami Shanescharam ||
DevDarshan is a platform that provides various Online puja and services for devotees. Click here to get your online puja bookings done. If you’re interested in knowing more about the rich history, culture, temples and astrology of India, then download the DevDarshan App on your mobile phone now.