Every fast has its own importance and benefits as per the Hindu scriptures. It is believed that keeping a fast brings the divine blessings of the Lord and showers the devotees with happiness and prosperity. Ekadashi Vrat holds a very significant place among all the fasts. There are 24 Ekadashis every year. The Ekadashi or 11th day of Krishna Paksha (Waning Moon Period) of the Bhadrapada month is called Aja Ekadashi 2023. Lord Vishnu is worshipped on this day and a fast is observed dedicated to him. By observing this fast, one gets freedom from all sins and all the wishes are fulfilled.
When is Ajaa Ekadashi 2023?
- In the year 2023, Aja Ekadashi Vrat falls on Sunday, September 10.
- Ekadashi Tithi Begins: 07:17 p.m on September 09, 2023
- Ekadashi Tithi Ends: 09:28 p.m on September 10, 2023
- Parana Timing on September 11: 06:04 a.m to 08:33 a.m
Aja Ekadashi Vrat Vidhi (Worship Method)
- Aja Ekadashi is a festival in which the fast is observed with rules and rituals.
- On the day of Ekadashi, take a bath early in the morning before sunrise.
- Clean the place of worship and install the idol of Lord Vishnu.
- Take a vow to fast with full devotion.
- It is necessary to keep certain puja samagri such as flowers, coconut, betel nut, fruit, clove, incense sticks, ghee, Panchamrit Bhog, oil lamp Tulsi, Dal, sandalwood etc.
- Then worship Lord Vishnu and offer Bhog. Perform Aarti in the morning and evening.
- Read the fasting story of Aja Ekadashi since it’s considered fruitful.
- Some devotees stay awake for the entire night and sing devotional songs, bhajan and kirtan dedicated to the Lord.
- On the day of Dwadashi, offer food and Dakshina to the poor and Brahmins in the morning. Then break the fast by eating fruits.
Know more about the Benefits of Fasting
Significance and Benefits of Aja Ekadashi Vrat
Lord Vishnu is worshipped on Aja Ekadashi, and because of this, his blessings are obtained. By observing this fast, devotees get freedom from the fear of ghosts and demons. It is believed that by observing this fast, one can attain salvation. It is believed that listening to Ajaa Ekadashi Vrat Katha on this day and observing the fast garners you the same benefits as the benefits obtained by performing Ashwamedha Yagya.
Fasting Story of Aja Ekadashi
King Harishchandra was known for his truthfulness and honesty. Once in his dream, he saw donating his royal text to sage Vishwamitra. The next day he donated his royal text to sage Vishwamitra. On being asked by sage Vishwamitra to donate 500 gold coins in addition to the royal text, the king sold his wife, his son and himself to fulfil the sage’s wish. After this, King Harishchandra started doing the work of tax collection for cremation in the cremation ground.
Time passed and King Harishchandra continued to do his work with complete honesty and sincerity. One day Gautam Rishi, impressed by his faithfulness and devotion towards his duty, advised him to observe Ajaa Ekadashi fast. According to the sage, King Harishchandra kept a fast on Ekadashi and worshipped Lord Vishnu with rituals. By observing this fast, all the sufferings of king Harishchandra were removed and sage Vishwamitra also returned his royal text to him. Since then the fast of Aja Ekadashi is observed by a number of devotees. The Ekadashi of Krishna Paksha of Bhadrapada month is known as Aja Ekadashi. Moreover, festivals like Haritalika Teej, Ganesh Chaturthi, and Anant Chaturdashi are celebrated after this Ekadashi.
DevDarshan is a platform that provides various Online puja and services for devotees. Click here to get your online puja bookings done. If you’re interested in knowing more about the rich history, culture, temples and astrology of India, then download the DevDarshan App on your mobile phone now.