Ashadh Purnima falls on the full moon day in the month of Ashadh, which typically falls between late June and early July. It is a significant day in the Hindu calendar as many Devotees observe fast and perform certain religious rituals for good luck and fortune.
On this auspicious occasion, Devotees offer their prayers and worship Lord Vishnu and observe Gopadam Vrat. Ashadha Purnima is also celebrated as Guru Purnima, a full moon day when people seek the blessings of their Guru or mentors.
So, let’s get to know more about the Date, Rituals and Significance of Ashadh Purnima 2023.
Ashadh Purnima 2023: Date, Muhurat and Timings
This year, Ashadh Purnima will be observed on Friday, 05 May 2023
- Purnima Tithi Starts: 08:21 p.m, July 02, 2023
- Purnima Tithi Ends: 05:08 p.m, July 03, 2023
Significance of Ashadh Purnima
Asadh Purnima is a significant Hindu festival celebrated on the full moon day (Purnima) of the Hindu month of Asadh, which typically falls in June or July according to the Gregorian calendar. It is also known as Guru Purnima, Vyasa Purnima, or Ashadhi Purnima.
The festival is dedicated to expressing gratitude and respect to gurus or spiritual teachers, who are believed to be the ones who impart knowledge and guide individuals on the path of enlightenment. This day is particularly important for Hindus who follow the Guru-Shishya (teacher-student) tradition.
On this day, people offer pujas (worship) to their gurus, seek their blessings, and offer them gifts as a mark of respect. The festival also commemorates the birth anniversary of Veda Vyasa, the author of the Mahabharata and the compiler of the four Vedas.
Apart from its spiritual significance, the festival is also celebrated in various regions of India with traditional dances, music, and other cultural events. In Maharashtra, people celebrate Ashadhi Ekadashi, which marks the beginning of the pilgrimage to the Pandharpur temple.
Overall, Asadh Purnima is a significant festival that celebrates the relationship between teachers and students, and the pursuit of knowledge and spiritual growth.
Asadha Purnima 2023 Rituals
The puja rituals of Asadha Purnima may vary in different regions and communities, but some common practices include:
- Guru Puja: The day is dedicated to honouring and worshipping one’s gurus or spiritual teachers. Devotees perform puja to their gurus, offer them flowers, fruits, and other offerings, and seek their blessings.
- Bathing in holy rivers: Taking a bath in holy rivers such as the Ganges, Yamuna, or Godavari is considered auspicious on Asadh Purnima. It is believed that this ritual washes away sins and purifies the soul.
- Fasting: Some people observe a fast on Asadh Purnima, abstaining from food and water until the puja rituals are completed. Others may observe a partial fast by consuming only fruits or milk.
- Donation: Making donations to the poor and needy is considered a meritorious act on Asadha Purnima. People donate food, clothes, and money to charity or to those who are less fortunate.
- Satyanarayan Puja: Participating in Satyanarayan puja is highly beneficial and fruitful. It brings immense wealth and prosperity.
Overall, the puja rituals of Asadh Purnima are centred around seeking the blessings of gurus, purifying the body and soul, and performing acts of charity and kindness.
Natives with the weak moon in their Horoscope usually struggle with anxiety and depression. Such natives should participate in Satyanarayan Vrat Puja on this day and offer water to the moon in the evening. This helps to resolve problems and get rid of struggles. It is also advised to keep fast on Vaisakh Purnima to attract positive energy.
Benefits of Observing Vaisakh Purnima Vrat
Observing Asadh Purnima Vrat, or fasting on the day of Asadh Purnima, is believed to have several benefits for the mind, body, and soul. Here are some of the benefits associated with this practice:
- Purification of mind and body: Fasting on Asadh Purnima is believed to help in purifying the mind and body by eliminating toxins and negative energy. It is also said to improve digestion and boost immunity.
- Spiritual growth: Asadh Purnima is dedicated to the worship of gurus and seeking their blessings. Fasting and performing puja rituals are believed to help in spiritual growth and seeking guidance from the gurus.
- Protection from negative energies: It is believed that fasting on Asadh Purnima protects the individual from negative energies and evil forces. It is said to promote positive energy and enhance the aura of the individual.
- Karma cleansing: Fasting and performing puja rituals on Asadh Purnima is believed to cleanse the karma of the individual, helping them to get rid of negative karmic effects and accumulate positive karma.
- Enhancing mental clarity: Fasting is known to improve mental clarity and focus. It is believed that fasting on Asadh Purnima helps Devotees to focus on their spiritual goals and gain a deeper understanding of themselves.
Overall, observing Asadh Purnima Vrat is believed to bring several benefits to the mind, body, and soul. It is a practice that promotes spiritual growth, purifies the body and mind, and protects the individual from negative energies.
Learn about the Religious Benefits of Fasting on Purnima
Check out various Online Puja and services provided by DevDarshan here and get your bookings done in one click. If you want to know more about Indian culture, Indian Temples, Pujas and festivals, then download the DevDarshan App. Don’t forget to share this blog if you liked.