Durva Ashtami 2023 is a special festival dedicated to the worship of Durva Grass, which is utilised in nearly all Hindu ceremonies. According to the Hindu calendar, it is marked on the eighth day of the Shukla Paksha (the bright fortnight of the moon) in the lunar month of Bhadrapada. To be precise, this day occurs between August and September in the Gregorian calendar. Observing Durva Ashtami with complete dedication, according to Hindu beliefs, brings wealth and peace into one’s life. Durva Grass is known to be very dear to Lord Ganesha. West Bengal and other eastern parts of India commemorate this Hindu festival with great joy and fervour. Durva Ashtami Vrat is well known in Bengal. In 2023, Durva Ashtami falls on Friday, September 22, 20233.
Significance of Durva Ashtami
According to Hinduism, the grass called Durva has great sacred importance. In addition to being a sign of riches, it’s also revered for its purity and devotion. According to mythology, the Durva Grass was created from the few hairs that fell off Lord Vishnu’s arm. Asuras and Devas were carrying ‘Amrit’ during the Samudra Manthan, and it is thought that a few drops of Amrit landed on Durva Grass, making it auspicious and eternal.
Devotees who dedicate themselves to worshipping Durva Grass on the day of Durva Ashtami, have all of their wishes come true. Fasting on Durva Ashtami is also believed to cleanse a person of all sins, including those comparable to killing a Brahmin. Lord Krishna himself revealed the significance of Durva Grass to King Yudhisthira. Lord Krishna said that a man who does the Durva Ashtami puja diligently would be endowed with the ability to pass on his heritage from one generation to the next. Ganesh Puja is also considered incomplete without Durva Grass.
Also Read: Significance of Ganesh Chaturthi
When is Durva Ashtami 2023?
In the year 2023, the festival of Durva Ashtami will be celebrated on Friday the 22nd of September.
- Ashtami Tithi Starts: 01:35 p.m on September 22, 2023
- Ashtami Tithi Ends: 12:17 p.m on September 23, 2023
Durva Ashtami 2023 Puja Vidhi
- Durva Ashtami rituals are mostly observed by women. As soon as they wake up in the morning, they take a bath and wear fresh clothes before beginning the puja rites.
- Every year on this day, ladies perform unique rituals and puja ceremonies in honour of the Durva grass. Flowers, fruits, rice, incense sticks, curd, and other necessary puja materials are used to worship the auspicious Durva Grass.
- On this day, women also fast. The devotee who observes the Durva Ashtami Vrat also prays to Lord Shiva and Lord Ganesha during this time. Durva Grass is presented to both the Lords together with fruits and flowers.
- Women perform the puja with complete devotion to their children’s long life and well-being. In addition, it contributes to their marriage’s tranquillity and harmony.
- In honour of Durva Ashtami, Hindu devotees are encouraged to provide food and clothing to revered Brahmins who have earned their respect in society. Those who do so are believed to be blessed with unending prosperity and fortune.
Also, Know the Puja Vidhi to Please Lord Shiva
Special Rituals on Durva Ashtami
- Perform special Ganesh Puja on the occasion of Durva Ashtami and chant the Ganesh Gayatri Mantra 108 times.
- Visit a Ganesha Temple and offer prayers to the Vighnaharta.
- Chant the following Mantra
Om Ekadantaya Viddhamahe, Vakratundaya Dhimahi, Tanno Danti Prachodayat
- In astrology, it is believed that Rahu Dosha can be eliminated by watering the Durva Grass and keeping it green. The devotees should also offer Durva Grass to Lord Ganesha on a daily basis to get rid of the malefic effects of Rahu.
Check out various Online Puja and services provided by DevDarshan here and get your bookings done in one click. If you want to know more about Indian culture, Indian Temples, Pujas and festivals, then download the DevDarshan App. Don’t forget to share this blog if you like it.