The festival of Govind Dwadashi is celebrated on Dwadashi, i.e., the 12th day of Shukla Paksha of the Phalgun month. In the year 2023, Govind Dwadashi will be celebrated on 3 March, Friday. Govind Dwadashi comes just four days before Holi and is the most popularly celebrated festival in Mathura-Vrindavan. As the name suggests, Govind Dwadashi is dedicated to the worship of Lord Krishna. Worshipping Lord Krishna in the form of Vishnu on the day of Govind Dwadashi helps to get rid of all the kinds of negativity in life. Know why and how to observe the special fast of Govind Dwadashi 2023 through this DevDarshan blog.
Govind Dwadashi 2023 Date and Timings
In 2023, Govinda Dwadashi falls on Friday, March 3.
Dwadashi Tithi Begins: March 3, 2023, 9:11 a.m
Dwadashi Tithi Ends: March 4, 2023, 11:43 a.m
Why to Observe Govind Dwadashi 2023 Fast?
According to the scriptures and Puranas, observing the Govind Dwadashi fast helps to seek the divine blessings of Lord Krishna. Any worries or issues related to having a child are removed by observing a fast on Govind Dwadashi. This fast and its special worship are also said to fulfil all kinds of wishes and desires of the devotees. Observing this fast also gives freedom from many types of diseases. People seeking financial progress or success in a love relationship should definitely observe this fast to seek the serial blessings of Lord Krishna on Govind Dwadashi 2023.
How to Observe Govind Dwadashi Fasting?
- Get up early in the morning and clean the house. Take a bath and meditate for five minutes in front of God.
- Bathe the small idol of Lord Krishna or Bal Govind and get him dressed in new clothes.
- Then light a lamp and offer some sweets made of milk to the Lord and take a vow in front of him to observe Govind Dwadashi fast with full dedication.
- If an idol of Lord Krishna is not available, then you can also worship the portrait of Lord Vishnu and Mata Lakshmi.
- Read the Vrat Katha related to Govind Dwadashi and chant any mantra of Lord Krishna or Lord Vishnu for 108 times.
- If you are not able to perform the puja at home due to some reason, then you can get it done with the help of a learned priest but don’t forget to give him Dakshina for performing the puja.
- Devotees keeping the fast should stay away from meat and alcohol and consume only fruits and milk on this day.
- Visiting the cowshed and feeding the cows with grass is also considered auspicious on this day.
Special Mantras to Chant on Govind Dwadashi 2023
Chanting Mantras of Lord Vishnu or Lord Krishna on Govind Dwadashi is considered to be very sacred and auspicious. Any devotee doing so is believed to get special benefits. Om Namo Bhagwate Vasudevaya Namah: Om Namo Narayanaya Namah: Sri Krishna Namah Sarvatme Namah.
Govind Dwadashi Vrat Katha
Although the fasting story of Govind Dwadashi is different in different places, however, according to the Bhagwat Katha, a Yadav girl first performed this fast. She was very poor, but her reverence and devotion towards Lord Vishnu were very high. She always observed the Ekadashi fast and broke her fast on the Parana timing in the next day. Once after Ekadashi, before breaking the fast on the second day, she went to sell curd. At that time, Lord Krishna and Radha were travelling through a forest in a cart. It is believed that suddenly Radharani shook a flowering tree vigorously. One of the flowers fell into the pot of this Yadav girl. Due to this effect, the curd in her pot did not get exhausted for the entire day and she kept selling it, therefore unknowingly fasting for the entire day without eating. Thinking it to be a miracle, she started observing this fast every year. As a result, she never faced any kind of problems or obstacles in his life. All her worries were eliminated and after her death, she got shelter in Lord Krishna’s abode. Even you can remove all the troubles and obstacles in your life by fasting and worshipping Lord Krishna on Govind Dwadashi 2023. Check out various Online Puja and services provided by DevDarshan here and get your bookings done in one click. If you want to know more about Indian culture, Indian Temples, Pujas and festivals, then download the DevDarshan App. Don’t forget to share this blog if you liked it. Also read, Guru Purnima 2023: Rituals, significance, date and timings