Indira Ekadashi 2022 is one of the most important fasting practices in Hinduism that falls in the Hindu month of Ashwin or in the month of September as per the Gregorian calendar. This Vrat is dedicated to the worship of Lord Vishnu in which the devotees observe a fast so that their forefathers can get rid of their past sins and attain salvation.
Let’s get to know the Significance, Date, Timing, Worship Method and Vrat Katha of Indira Ekadashi 2022.
Indira Ekadashi 2022 Date and Timings
- Date: September 21, 2022, Wednesday
- Ekadashi Tithi Begins – 09: 26 p.m on September 20, 2022,
- Ekadashi Tithi Ends – 11: 34 p.m on September 21, 2022
- Parana Time – 06: 09 AM to 08: 35 a.m on September 22, 2022
- On Parana Day Dwadashi End Moment – 01: 17 a.m, September 23, 2022
Significance of Indira Ekadashi 2022
Indira Ekadashi holds special importance out of all the Ekadashis in India. It falls in the Pitru Paksha which is also known as Shradh Ekadashi. In religious terms, this Ekadashi has great significance since it is an opportunity in which the devotees can free their dead ancestors from their past sins and seek forgiveness from Yamraj. Thus, the relatives of the dead ancestors can help them attain moksha or salvation by observing the Indira Ekadashi vrat with utmost dedication. This vrat also helps in making the life of a devotee healthy, wealthy and prosperous.
Let’s know the Significance of Shradh
The Hindu scriptures state that observing the Indira Ekadashi Vrat brings results similar to performing the Ashwamedha Yagya. The ‘Brahma Vaivarta Purana’ further states the significance of Indira Ekadashi 2022. This fasting story and its benefits have also been told to Yudhishtira by Lord Krishna. This vrat is also known to bring good health, wealth, riches and prosperity to the lives of the devotees. It makes the observer of the vrat much more calmer and focused in life which makes him/her reach greater heights and success in their career. Such devotees also lead a happy and peaceful personal or family life due to the divine grace of Lord Vishnu.
For happy family life, know the Significance of Satyanarayan Puja
Indira Ekadashi Vrat Katha 2022
It’s a story of the Satya Yuga. Once there was a king called Indrasen who ruled the Mahishmati kingdom. The king was full of wisdom and was very rich and wealthy. He was an ardent devotee of Lord Vishnu. One fine day the king was in his court when Maharishi Narad came. He asked the king if all his seven senses were working properly. The king was amazed by this question and asked Narad Muni why he was asking the question. Then, Narad Muni revealed that he had gone to Yamloka from the Brahmaloka where he saw the king’s father. The father asked Maharishi Narad to convey his message to the king from the Yamloka.
The message read, ‘My dear son, your father is living a miserable life in Yamloka due to some past sins. So could you please observe the Indira Ekadashi Vrat in the Ashwin month, regularly without fail? If you do so, I’ll be able to reach heaven peacefully’. The King decided to observe the fast to get his father rid of his past sins. He asked Narad Muni to tell him the rules, regulations and procedures of the Indira Ekadashi fast. Then, Maharishi Narad explained to the king that he should wake up early in the morning on the Dashami of Ashwin month, take a bath and wear clean clothes. Then, he should take another bath in a holy river in the afternoon. After that, he should perform the Shradh of his forefathers and consume food only once in the entire day.
On Ekadashi day, he should again wake up early and perform the sankalp of the Indira Ekadashi Vrat 2022. Following this, he should resolve to the fasting with full devotion and do Jagaran and worship the Lord at night. The king followed Naradji’s instructions without fail and as a result, his father went to Vishnuloka happily riding on Garuda. The king was also adorned by a shower of flowers and after some years he himself went to Swargaloka, leaving his son as his successor.
Also know, the importance of Rama Ekadashi
Indira Ekadashi 2022 Worship Method
- On the day of the Indira Ekadashi vrat, the observer performs all the rituals of Shradh. The devotees should follow all the rules and rituals so the fast brings fruitful benefits.
- Lord Vishnu is worshipped with full devotion on this day. Firstly, offer flowers, tulsi leaves, sandalwood and fruits to the Lord. Visit the temple of Lord Vishnu anytime during the day if you can.
- The vrat begins on Dashami day (10th day) i.e. a day before the Ekadashi (11th day). On the 10th day, the ancestors are given homage and are worshipped with full rituals. The meal should be taken before sunrise since the devotees need to keep a strict fast on Ekadashi day.
- The fast begins at sunrise of Ekadashi and ends on the next day i.e. on Dwadashi, after performing the puja of Lord Vishnu. Since the vrat falls on Pitru Paksha, the devotees should offer food to the cows and priests before consuming food themselves.
- On Ekadashi vrat day, the devotees should listen to the Ekadashi vrat katha. They should also chant mantras and listen to Bhajans dedicated to Lord Vishnu. Reading the Vishnu Sahastranaam is also considered to be very auspicious.
- Some special prayers are also conducted on this day in the loving memory of the dead ancestors. The afternoon period is considered good for worshipping the forefathers.
Check out various Online Puja and services provided by DevDarshan here and get your bookings done in one click. If you want to know more about Indian culture, Indian Temples, Pujas and festivals, then download the DevDarshan App. Don’t forget to share this blog if you liked it.