Krishna Paksha’s Trayodashi Tithi of Phalgun month is known as the Mahashivratri festival. Mahashivaratri is the biggest festival of Hindu Sanatan Dharma and the most revered by devotees. It is said that apart from the 18 nights of two big Navratris, the Mahashivratri festival is highly auspicious that increases spiritual energy, and fulfills wishes.
Maha Shivratri 2023: Date, Muhurat and Timings
This year, Mahashivratri will be celebrated on Saturday, February 18, 2023
- Ratri First Prahar Puja Time – 06:13 p.m to 09:24 p.m
- Ratri Second Prahar Puja Time – 09:24 p.m to 12:35 a.m, Feb 19
- Ratri Third Prahar Puja Time – 12:35 a.m to 03:46 a.m, Feb 19
- Ratri Fourth Prahar Puja Time – 03:46 a.m to 06:56 a.m, Feb 19
- Chaturdashi Tithi Begins – 08:02 p.m on Feb 18, 2023
- Chaturdashi Tithi Ends – 04:18 p.m on Feb 19, 2023
Shivaratri Parana Time – 06:56 a.m to 03:24 p.m on February 19,
Significance of MahaShivratri 2023
One of the most celebrated festivals of India, Mahashivratri is also a much-awaited festival for the Devotees of Lord Shiva. It is considered to be the favourite night of Lord Shiva. According to some beliefs, it is also known as the union of Lord Shiva and Maa Shakti in the Puranas. Maha Shivratri is an incredible festival representing the divine incarnation of Lord Shiva. According to Shiva Purana, Devotees who participate in Rudrabhishek Puja, Archana, and Aarti of Lord Shiva on the day of MahaShivratri, get their wishes fulfilled immediately. Moreover, it is believed that all the troubles of your life are eliminated immediately. Worshipping Lord Mahadev on the occasion of MahaShivratri helps you receive utmost happiness and also frees you from vices such as greed, lust, anger, pride, etc.
Additionally, it is said that on this day of Maha Shivratri the marriage of Mata Parvati and Lord Shiva took place. It is also believed that this festival is the most fantastic festival of the Divine Manifestation of Lord Shiva. Moreover, by participating in Lord Shiva’s Puja on Mahashivratri, you are blessed with happiness and luxury as well as freed from all worldly misdeeds and problems. Participating in Lord Shiva Abhishek and Puja at the favourite places of Lord Shiva on Mahashivaratri is considered to be fruitful immediately. Furthermore, Lord Mahadev never leaves his devotees empty-handed on this Divine festival.
Also Read: Importance of Masik Shivratri
Somnath Jyotirlinga region is not only famous for Lord Shiva Temple but also for the presence of the unique Temple of Shri Krishna. It is believed that Shri Krishna left the material world at this holy place. Lord Shiva himself has blessed this place to be divine and miraculous. According to Shiv Purana, Lord Shiva is omnipresent and his presence is everywhere, and therefore he fulfills all the wishes of his Devotees.
Mahashivratri 2023 Puja Vidhi
- Clean the temple site after taking bath in Brahma muhurta.
- After this, perform Shivling abhishek with Panchamrit by applying sandalwood paste.
- During Mahashivaratri fast, fill water or milk in an earthen pot, put bel patra, Aak-Dhatura flowers, rice etc. on top, and offer it to Shivlinga.
- If there is no Lord Shiva temple near your home, make a Shivlinga with clay at home and worship it.
- Following this, recite Shiva Purana and chant Mahamrityunjaya Mantra or Om Namah Shivay, the Panchakshara mantra of Shiva.
- There is also a ritual of Jagran (night vigil) on the day of Mahashivaratri. It is believed that all wishes of Devotees are fulfilled who perform this ritual.
- You should also participate in Rudrabhishek which brings in the highest rewards on Mahashivratri.
Also Read: Importance of Rudrabhishek Puja
Benefits of Participating in Rudrabhishek on MahaShivratri 2023
Fulfill All Your Wishes
The easiest Vedic and the most efficient way to please Lord Shiva immediately is Rudrabhsihek Puja. In this special puja, Lord Shiva’s Abhishek is performed by reciting Rudrashtadhyayi Mantras by the Shukla Yajurvediya method. With these rituals, Lord Shiva gets easily and the desired boon is granted.
Good Health and Economic Benefits
Through Rudrabhishek puja, Lord Shiva’s blessings are bestowed on you and you also gain special economic benefits. Rudrabhishek can also help resolve job or business losses. Whether the fear of unprecedented death, fear of the unknown or the suffering of any diseases are removed by participating in Rudrabhishek and Pitra Sukta.
Resolution of Horoscope Doshas
As the Presiding Deity of the Navgrahas is Lord Shiva, by Rudrabhishek Puja all defects and malefic effects of Navagrahas from the horoscope are removed. If you are suffering from Shani Sade Sati or Rahu Mahadasha, the negative effects of the Moon, Mars, Sun, Mercury, Venus or Rahu Ketu, all the bad effects of malefic planets are resolved by Rudrabhishek Puja.
Along with Rudrabhishek Puja, Pitru Sukta Path is also highly rewarding and beneficial when performed in Somnath Jyotirlinga.
Check out various Online Puja and services provided by DevDarshan here and get your bookings done in one click. If you want to know more about Indian culture, Indian Temples, Pujas and festivals, then download the DevDarshan App. Don’t forget to share this blog if you liked.