The month of Sawan/Shravan is the most auspicious period in the Hindu religion. Also, Sawan is considered to be the favourite month of Lord Shiva, so in this month the devotees of Lord Shiva are completely indulged in fasting and worship of Lord Mahadev. Worship of Lord Shiva/Mahadev on Sawan/Shravan Somwar (Monday) gives special benefits.
Know the dates, muhurat and worship method for Sawan Somwar 2023.
When is Sawan Monday 2023? Dates and Muhurat
The holy month of Sawan in 2023 will start on Tuesday, July 4, 2023. This year there is an additional month – Adhik Maas in Sawan. That’s why the Hindu month of Sawan will have two months. The sawan month will end on Thursday, 31 August 2023. All Mondays coming in the month of Sawan are called Sawan Mondays (Sawan Somwar 2023).
- First Sawan Monday – July 10, 2023, Tithi – Ashtami
- Second Sawan Monday – July 17, 2023, Tithi – Amavasya
- Third Sawan Monday – July 24, 2023, Tithi – Shashti
- Fourth Sawan Monday (Sawan Somwar 2023) – July 31, 2023, Tithi – Trayodashi
- First Sawan Monday – August 7, 2023, Date – Saptami
- Second Sawan Monday – August 14, 2023, Tithi – Trayodashi
- Third Sawan Monday – August 21, 2023, Date – Nagpanchami
- Fourth Sawan Monday – August 28, 2023 – Dwadashi
What is the Importance of Sawan Somwar?
There are many mythological stories related to Sawan Somwar. It is believed that when the demons and the gods churned the ocean during the month of Sawan, Lord Shiva drank the poison that came out during the churning process. Due to this, his body got burnt intensely. To cool down this intense burning sensation, he held the crescent moon on his head. According to some other legends, Mata Parvati/Maa Gauri also observed a special fast on Sawan Somvar to get Lord Shiva as her husband.
Also, know about the Importance of Mangala Gauri Vrat
Thus, it is believed that women and unmarried girls can be blessed with a successful married life by observing the fast of Sawan Somwar. On the other hand, it is also said that the easiest way for men to overcome their financial, physical and mental problems is by observing the Sawan Somwar fast. On this day, all the wishes of the devotees who perform Rudrabhishek Puja are fulfilled. Lord Shiva is always pleased with such a devotee.
Also Read: Importance of Somwar Vrat
Worship Method for Sawan Somwar 2023
- Goddess Parvati is also worshipped along with Lord Shiva on Sawan Monday. On puja day, wake up early in the morning and after taking a bath, take a vow to worship and fast on Sawan Somwar in front of Lord Shiva and Mata Parvati.
- If you can’t take the vow with Sanskrit mantras, then there’s an alternative to that too. You can take the vow of fasting with water in both palms.
- First of all, worship Lord Ganesha. Then go to Shiva temple and anoint Mata Parvati and Lord Shiva with Panchamrit. After this, bathe the idols with Gangajal and clean them with a piece of cloth.
- After this, both the deities are decorated with Shringaar. Items like chunari, mehndi and bangles are offered to Goddess Parvati. A sacred thread is also offered to Lord Shiva. Devotees can offer bilva leaves, sweets and fruits such as Bhog.
- Light a lamp in the temple and chant the mantras of Lord Shiva. Restrain from eating food, especially cereals on this day. Fruits can be consumed.
- Performing Rudrabhishek Puja on Shravan Somvar also helps to remove all challenges and fulfils the wishes of devotees.
Know the Importance of Rudrabhishek Puja during the Shravan month
Some Special Remedies for Sawan Somvar 2023
- Go to Lord Shiva’s temple on Monday and donate an umbrella to a needy person after Darshan.
- Perform special Abhishek of Lord Shiva on Sawan Somwar by putting black sesame in milk to eliminate the impact of chronic diseases.
- Anointing Lord Shiva with honey on Sawan Somwar ends problems in relationships.
- The sacred festival of Rakshabandhan is also celebrated in the Sawan month, so it’s auspicious to gift something to your sister on Sawan Somvar.
- Abhishek of Lord Shiva with sugarcane juice removes the obstacles coming in the way of economic progress.
- Anointing Lord Shiva with saffron mixed milk removes the problem in education.
- Devotees can fulfil all their desires by writing || Om Namah Shivaya || on 21 Bel leaves on Sawan Somwar 2023.
Check out various Online Puja and services provided by DevDarshan here and get your bookings done in one click. If you want to know more about Indian culture, Indian Temples, Pujas and festivals, then download the DevDarshan App. Don’t forget to share this blog if you liked it.